We get a lot of calls each week about how to become certified in Hyperbaric Medicine. Below are steps you could follow if you are interested in seeking privileges to practice hyperbaric medicine at your facility.
Attend a hyperbaric basic training, Introduction to Hyperbaric Medicine - a 40-hour course. This course provides you with basic training in hyperbaric medicine. You are not "certified" at the end of the basic training course, you will receive a certificate of course completion.
The hyperbaric basic-training course that we provide at Wound Care Education Partners meets CMS requirements for physician supervision and billing.
To pursue board certification or a certificate of added qualification, please read on for more details.
Our in-person Introduction to Hyperbaric Medicine basic training course is approved by the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) and the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDHMT).
Step 2 (Physicians)
Privileges to practice hyperbaric medicine are granted by your facility. Check with your facility's requirements to earn privileges.
Below are options for physicians to either become boarded in UHM or pursue added qualification.
- Physician Board Certification in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine (UHM) https://www.uhms.org/education/credentialing/board-certification-physicians.html
- Physicians can obtain board certification in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine through the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) and the American Board of Preventive Medicine (ABPM), with a current certification from one of the 24 primary member boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Physicians must submit an application to the board through which they are certified. Physicians certified by an ABMS member board other than ABEM and ABPM and who fulfill the eligibility criteria must apply to ABPM. Upon successful completion of the examination, certification is awarded by the board through which the physician submitted the application. Find more details on the UHMS website here https://uhms.org/education/credentialing/board-certification-physicians.html
- PATH - Program for Advanced Training in Hyperbaric Medicine. The UHMS PATH program is open to MD, DO, NP and PA candidates. https://www.courses-uhms.org/courses/uhms-path.html#who-can-participate-in-the-uhms-path
- Physician Certification in Hyperbaric Medicine is offered by the ABWH. https://abwh.net/get-certified/physician-certification-hyperbaric-medicine/
Step 2 (Nurses and Allied Health)
- Decide if you want to pursue either CHT or CHS.
- Read "The Path to Become CHT". CLICK HERE to read it now
- For CHT: Download the NBDHMT's CHT Resource manual, the manual on how to become CHT http://www.nbdhmt.org/forms/CHT_Resource_Manual.pdf
- For CHS: Visit the ABWH website to read how to become CHS or CHWS
- Enroll in an Introduction to Hyperbaric Medicine basic training course. CLICK HERE to see the list of upcoming courses. IMPORTANT NOTE: You are not "certified" at the end of this or any basic training course, you will receive a certificate of course completion.
- Questions about the added qualification? Contact the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDHMT) http://www.nbdhmt.org/cht.asp or the American Board of Wound Healing (ABWH) https://abwh.net
The UHMS recognizes both CHT, CHRN (NBDHMT) and CHS, CHWS (ABWH) - you can find the UHMS position statement here.
The American Board of Wound Healing (ABWH) offers added qualifications similar to those offered by the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDHT).
The ABWH awards Certified Hyperbaric Specialist (CHS) and Certified Hyperbaric & Wound Specialist (CHWS)
The NBDHMT awards Certified Hyperbaric Technologist (CHT) and Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse (CHRN).
An "added qualification" is not an entry-level qualification, rather an additional certification beyond the applicant‟s qualifying profession.
Step 3 - Take Action Now!
If you are ready to take action now, register for an Introduction to Hyperbaric Medicine 40-hour basic training course. Learn more here http://bit.ly/WCEP_IHM
Find an upcoming course on our Upcoming Courses page here http://bit.ly/WCEPUpcomingCourses
Enter your name and email below to receive access to our most up-to-date list of courses taking place each month.